This article describes how to configure mapping variables to send data from Qualifio to your vendor.
Note: Mapping variables are available for integrations that were set up after February 2020. For using earlier integrations, the process is nearly identical but you should use SSO variables (see this article) or custom CRM variables (see this article). Please contact us for additional information.
In this article:
- About mapping variables
- Mapping variables vs. SSO and custom CRM variables
- Creating a mapping variable
- How to use mapping variables in a campaign?
About mapping variables
Mapping variables are used to store the information that is passed to your vendor.
Mapping variables vs. SSO and custom CRM variables
In Qualifio, mapping variables make for a more flexible way to manage variables.
Maintaining multiple versions of the same functionality impacts our ability to provide the most value to as many customers as possible. It impacts product development, support and documentation, account management and, of course, our customers.
Therefore, we have deprecated SSO and custom CRM variables. We will no longer make enhancements to those. SSO and custom CRM variables will be removed in a future update.
However, our intention is to inform you as early as possible that we are making a change and help you if you are impacted by that change, so we have no designated removal date yet.
You have an integration with us for which you are using SSO or custom CRM variables.
What you need to do: Nothing. You can keep using the SSO and custom CRM variables from their deprecation date to the day we will remove them from our service. If necessary, your integration variables will be converted during a future update.
You would like to have an integration with us. How does this affect you?
What you need to do: Nothing. Your new integration will automatically use the new mapping variables.
Creating a mapping variable
To view or manage mapping variables, open your Settings. In the Mapping variables, you can see all the variables that were created in your account.
To add a mapping variable for your account, use the following steps:
- In Mapping variables, click + Add a new variable on the right.
The mapping variable creation screen displays.
- Enter a Display label and Name.
• Display label: The business name of the variable, as displayed in Qualifio. The display label can have spaces. E.g. 'Dog name'
• Name: The technical name is used to refer to the value of the mapping variable. Spaces are not allowed for the name. The technical name should be unique. E.g. 'dog_name'
- From the drop-down list, select the type of variable to create. The following options are available:
• Answer: allows you to push the value of a participant's response.
• Unique value: allows you to define a unique value to be pushed. You can use this variable type with hidden fields to include data that cannot be seen or modified by participants when the form is submitted. E.g. a 'pet type' mapping variable could store the value 'dog' and this value would be sent when the form is submitted.
• Opt-in: allows you to push new subscribers to your vendor. The value is 1 if the opt-in was checked or answered with 'Yes', 0 if answered with 'No', and empty if the opt-in wasn't checked or left unanswered (if optional).
• Note: it is currently not possible to change the type of a variable after its creation.
- Enabled in: shows where the variable is available. Depending on the selected type, the following options are available: forms and opt-ins. This can help you sort mapping variables in order to narrow down the list of possible choices in your forms and opt-ins.
- Click Save. The new mapping variable displays in the list.
To edit a mapping variable, click the pencil icon next to the mapping variable you want to modify.
To delete a mapping variable, click the trash icon next to the mapping variable you want to remove.
A confirmation message displays. Once you confirm, the deleted mapping variable is removed and cannot be restored.
How to use mapping variables in a campaign?
The mapping variables can be used in forms and opt-ins.
To set the mapping variables in a form, just follow the below-mentioned steps.
This procedure is possible in the Forms and Master Forms. See "How to use Master Forms" for more information.
Login > Documents > Forms > Edit form
- Add or edit a form field
- Assign a mapping variable to that field
NOTE: Mapping variables work with the following form field types:
- Answer: email fields, birthdate fields, phone fields, radio buttons, drop-down lists, answer buttons, checkboxes, numeric and alphanumeric fields, text boxes for galleries, text areas, URL fields, VAT number fields, and date fields.
- Unique value: alphanumeric fields, text areas, and hidden fields.
- Opt-in: opt-ins, unique checkboxes, and opt-out consent fields.
To set a mapping variable in an opt-in, follow the below-mentioned steps:
Login > Opt-ins > Opt-in management > Edit opt-in
- Add or edit an opt-in
- Assign a mapping variable to that opt-in
Let's say you want to publish a quiz about dogs to find out more about your visitors' pets. Here's how you would manage mapping variables for this.
Create 3 variables based on the participant information you want to push:
Display label: Dog name
Variable type: Participant's answer
Ask participants what their dog's name is and push this information to your vendor.
Display label: Dog lover
Variable type: Unique value (hidden field)
Value: dog lover
Because they take part in your quiz, you want participants to be labelled as dog lovers in your database. The value 'dog lover' will be linked to the profile of each participant.
Display label: Dog newsletter
Variable type: Opt-in
With this mapping variable assigned to your newsletter opt-in, each participant who accepts to subscribe to your newsletter will be labelled as such on the vendor side.
Can I add mapping variables in bulk?
At this time, it is not possible to add mapping variables in bulk. You will need to manually add each variable.
How to pass mapping variables in a redirection URL?
The values of the mapping variables can be passed into a website or landing page by adding variables in the redirection link. Use automatic URL redirection to pass data at the end of a campaign.
Can I reorder mapping variables?
Mapping variables are sorted from oldest (top of the list) to newest (bottom of the list). It is not possible to drag and drop mapping variables in your preferred order.
Forbidden characters and variable names
- Variable names must be unique.
- Variable names are up to 60 characters long.
- Variable names can only contain letters and digits, except that hyphens (-) and underscores ( _ ) are allowed.
- Spaces are not allowed in a name. Traditionally, an underscore can be used instead (e.g. football_club). An alternative to this might be capitalisation (e.g. FootballClub).
- Upper and lowercase letters are distinguished. AA, aa, Aa and aA refer to different variables.
Some names are reserved and cannot be used as names for mapping variables as they are already used elsewhere in Qualifio. You can't use the following names when you create mapping variables:
How to automatically pre-fill a form based on CRM variables in an emailing?
How to use dynamic variables in your campaigns
What are global variables?
Using SSO variables with the Opt-in Manager
How to create SSO variables